Monday 28 February 2011

THE PEDODONTICS ASSISTING JOB

I have always hated pedodontics eversince.In college, looking for patients was a hell and treating them was worse.I was not at all enticed by this branch of dentistry. I have a very adult approach to patients and kids,though wrong, I consider them that. I just do not know how to please them or praise them for their good character or comment how nice that Spiderman print on their t-shirt. It has always been a sit-open-your-mouth-and-don't-cry treatment; no TSD(tell,show,do), no nothing. But I have no idea why children always take the bait of the Cinderella or Ben 10 sticker or ice cream. If that were me only a Balenciaga would shut me up from crying,LOL

So imagine me assigned at where else, the pedodontics section. Their loud cries that reach a kilometer have been a sound I was used to for a year but I haven't really tried how it would be  hearing it inside the room itself. Will my eardrum perhaps tear? No, it didn't after all and  my stereotyping,surprisingly, was proven false.. I kind of enjoyed working at this place or was it just the cute kids with their eyes as big as a 40-inch flat screen TV with lashes that curve like a smile. Or was it the cute little boys in their kadooras and matching sandals that always make my day, or the little girls in their furry coats, or the three-sisters-same-outfit combo; I don't know but leaving it is a feeling of sudden grief.

But what I will miss the most is the children's fast heartbeat that I  love to feel on my left palm while I hold them. Every beat tells me that after all they are small human beings able to feel hurt, but helpless as their tiny frames. I have always love this feeling of what makes us human like a good pat on my shoulder,or back in Manila when raining, I love to feel the warmth of the person beside me in the jeep. But nothing is more beautiful than a beating heart. Behind those cries, is a heart that screams, behind those tears is a heart that pleads; and I hope that my touch, simple as it may seem, has told it to hush.

I hope they grow up  forgetting not they have one.

:)

1 comment:

  1. so heartwarming, but still no pedo for me. i don't want to end up a criminal! nyahahaha!

    ReplyDelete