Wednesday 18 May 2011

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque- Abu Dhabi

If the word Grand will be ever used again, then it has to surpass what Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is. This capital AMAZING structure here in Abu Dhabi is by far the best I have ever seen yet. It may not boast the highest-tallest-whatever title, but it's all in the DETAILS and I mean details. It will take not just a glance to appreciate the true beauty of this building but a very careful and keen eye to ever be wowed. Artisans truely made this mosque a piece of art that no matter what faith you have, you will still be blown away by how beautiful everything was done here. Every smallest tiniest detail speaks of hard work, creativity, and dedication that were carefully assembled to define what is breathtaking.

Considered to be the 8th largest mosque in the world, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque also is a mausoleum for the late Sheikh Zayed, the former UAE president( which is not allowed to be photographed).

So the very bored me decided to make this trip final after a year plus of planning to visit this magnificent building. It was very hot that day that I almost evaporated, and stayed there for 5 hours because I wanted to cover it at daylight and night time.And if it weren't for my sandals, I would have stayed longer. This is by far I consider, of the 40 plus posts, the best photoblog I have ever created. And I think, this is the most extensive coverage of this mosque you can see online.

So let's start the journey. From Abu Dhabi city you can take any 3 digit bus to get here. The nearest bus stop is about 50 meters away. Women should wear abaya(they will lend you one) and strictly no PDA allowed, even touching your wife's shoulder for a photo op.

 Outside and ground shots












Let me now take you inside the mosque. The mosque is made up entirely of white marble. And this whole square is one big mosaic, yes it is a mosaic. And the mosque's main theme? FLOWER, it's everywhere: the design of its carvings, carpets, walls, columns, chandeliers, doors, etc.









its gate

this door opens to the mosque itself

and look at the details of the marble wal here in 3 dimensional. The carvings were carved and not glued, so this whole wall is a big puzzle.

Ok , this is the floor of the square, as I said earlier, this is a big mosaic. The flower details are fantastic and this time made of different colored marbles.Amazing.






this looks simple, right? Wrong. Up close these are actually marbles painstakingly cutted and formed into flowers. Each column has I think 6 sides and there are like a thousand of them. and what's more difficult? it is in 2D and as flat as the white marble







This is called South Ablution. I know, the name sounds like there is somebody to be beheaded here but according to my Oxford dictionary ablution means the act of washing yourself or simply called the toilet,lol.
and look at this handpainted tiles.

this is the place to wash their feet.


Drinking fountains are also scattered around the mosque with different designs such as this.

these are carvings on the ceiling in 3D



This part is now the inside of the mosque.This is the prayer area and visitors are only allowed on certain times. And you have to go barefooted to get in(which made me a little worried of losing my Jil Sander's,lol).
This is the entrance to Alice in Wonderland, look at the details on this chandelier and dome. Look at the Arabic calligraphy.All domes has one circling it.


the flower design on the walls are 3 dimentional.

look

up close


and here is the cream of the crop. this is inside the prayer area itself. This used to be the largest chandelier in the world(according to Wikipedia, the largest now is in Doha)


Visitors are only allowed on this third of the area. beyond that red thing is forbidden.
 Details, details, details



the columns here are now decorated with mother of pearl and the base are carved.



 there are three big chandeliers here

Don't be fooled by these lotus designs again. These were not painted but pieces of tiny tiles in color gradation. In short, these are mosaic. Its center is made of stained glass.



Now the carpet. This is the biggest in the world and was brought in here in one piece.Just look at the details here. It will take me forever to create one flower. And this is very soft.



Amazing. Isn't it?

This is not the floor, this is the ceiling, again in 3D

see that? Puts wallpaper to shame.



the Quran, this is also off limits

i love this shot. very "kaleidoscope-ish"


ok, i told you earlier i was here for 5 hours to wait until it gets dark.

and God said, "Let there be light.". The mosque becomes completely different at dark when the lights are turned on











I love how the marbles reflect light. Can you see the smoky grayish thing? That's it. So spectacular.

 And the columns are much more alive at night



I didn't know the designs are different on each dome. I just realized that when i got home looking at my pictures.



There is no adjective that can describe how beautiful this place is. The trip was so worth it.


Outfit:
I got this action shot with the help of a pillar where my camera is next to a bird poo,lol. Please don't get me wrong when I post my outfits on my entries. I started as a  fashion blog, that's the only connection in my posts.

Eyewear: Raf Simons x Linda Farrow
Color blocked shirt:  Jil Sander
Pants:  Zara
Bag:   Balenciaga
Sandals:   Jil Sander
Bracelet:   Maison Martin Margiela








10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the marvelous posting ! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job and this information will help to all.Thank you for the needed information.

    Hydra Village

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you very much fOR taking time to browse my abandoned blog.haha. i will try my best to keep it updated

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Grand Mosque looks very different during the night. It looks better especially when the lights turn on.


    property shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the information. Beautiful shots and absolutely awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pictures, keep the good work going...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures.. . Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheikh Zayd Mosque is one of the amazing things About U.A.E and if we Speak about U.A.E, Dubai is an amazing place and it has a lot of things to offer like Dhow Cruise Dinner, Beautiful Skyscrapers, and desert safari. As we Speak about the Desert Safari it's really a worth doing tour especially the Evening Desert Safari in Dubai because the sight of sunset behind the sand dunes is a thing you don't want to miss and the dune bashing, belly dance, Tanoura show, fire show and delicious lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is certainly the synonymous of perfection! I have heard a lot about the Abu Dhabi mosque. I must say, this masjid is constructed with utmost detailing & perfection. All your pictures are amazing! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the images of Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque at Abu Dhabi are hypnotizing, I loved these pictures. I would love to physically experience this place; I am very much into photography and would really be happy to capture the beauty of this mosque. I will get my 90 days Dubai visa, in a day or two; I applied for it last week when I got a consignment for Dubai.

    ReplyDelete