Monday 23 May 2011

Dubai Mall Fountain and At The Top, Burj Khalifa

If I were on the death row or living the last 24 hrs. of my life, the Dubai Mall Fountain would be my last wish to see. :). I can stay there for hours just looking at how beautiful and amazing this fountain is. When I first saw on TV the ones in Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas, I told my self " I have to see that live" but its Dubai counterpart is even better. Designed by WET Design(the creators of the Bellagio fountains) and costs a whopping 200 million dollars. Oh, how I wish I can afford one.LOL.

Morning, I was at Ibn Battuta to watch Pirates of the Carribean 4 on IMAX. The movie sucks big time and the IMAX theater back at SM Mall of Asia is waaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than here.Very disappointing. I have watched a lot of movies in this format but the special effects done here were so flat. I was expecting fast or moving camera works, and something bursting like the ones in Harry Potter 4 and 5 and A Christmas Carol because that's where you would appreciate IMAX 3D.

Anyway, I ended my 2-day trip at the Dubai Mall for my 7 pm scheduled tour at At The Top, Burj Khalifa. and I thought it'd be interesting to include the fountain as well. So there I was outside waiting not minding the heat and humidity just for you.lol. I wanted to share to you my video on how this works but I'm having trouble uploading it. So it's better if you just Youtube it yourself. There are tons of them there. I specifically recommend the I will Always Love You and Con Te Partiro shows. Very beautiful and emotional. And if you want to see it live, show starts at 6 pm and runs every 30 minutes.



Here are some few outside shots of Burj Khalifa- the tallest building in the world





People, including I patiently waited for the first show at 6.






 This is how wide the fountain is

 





My ticket for the 7pm tour. At The Top is Burj Khalifa's 360 degrees observation deck for tourist who wants to see Dubai that way. It is on the 124th floor. Purchase your tickets online at their site for 105 AED(roughly 30 USD). Tickets at spot on cost 400 AED. Timing is every 30 minutes.
The best time to come here is between 6-7 pm(summer) so you can witness Dubai at daytime, sunset, and night. Come winter(Dec. to March), make it at 5-6.

The assembly point. Security is very airport-tight here. Everything is checked with x ray machines and metal detectors so avoid bringing anything that would  trigger the alarm.


There are 2 elevators going up and down the site which only has the 124th floor key. So if you're planning to escape at the 100th floor, it's not possible. The elevators also are very fast and steady. You can't feel it moving at all. The only thing that will tell you you're actually going up is when your ears start to pop. and the trip is less than a minute.

The open deck. This is one third of the whole floor. There is a small gap between the 2 glass barriers so you can take out your camera and take photos "reflectionless".

the fountain at work


the Dubai Mall

The Strip







This shot is taken on the closed deck.Noticed the reflection? It's bad taking photos here but the view is still very nice

if you want to use these telescope, it's 10 AED.







 I did not know the lake is this big



here's a short video i took of the fountain

the Dubai Mall fully lit at night


this is what's left of the tower from the 124th floor.



Sometimes I just hate my camera. Very blurred pics at night. the other third of the observation deck

Souvenir shop


 on my way to the exit

This is how it was conceptualized and designed


The people behind this building

I love this space


yes, there is one Gold "ATM" here. there is also one At The Top.

Original bolts used building this structure are for sale. Price? 4,900 AED. Forget it.
 At night

And see how people wait for the show regardless how humid it was that day.

here's another video of the fountain on ground before I left

outfit:

Eyewear:    Incognito pilot(in gold) Maison Martin Margiela
Stripe shirt:    Rykiel Homme
Backpack:    Eastpak x Christopher Shannon
Shorts:   Zara
Pull-tab bracelet:   Maison Martin Margiela
Hitops:    Alessandro dell' Acqua





2 comments: