Saturday 29 January 2011

My Dubai Shopping Spree

First of all, imagine and feel the softest cashmere scarf  on your hand. Gentle as a baby's butt, tie-dyed in blue and camel, tiny fringes on the edge, at 75% less, and by Bottega Veneta. Perfect.Wrap it around your neck.Excited?Decided to buy it yet? YES. Now remove it, and,it, RIPPED. That's what happened yesterday after trying it on with that Viktor & Rolf tee with its price tag outside and the scarf accidentally caught by it. Well, I'm not buying anything with damage although my fault.I'm sorry Bloomingdales.:)

So I was in Dubai yesterday alone after my supposed to be companion, a.k.a Wilma Tunacao(lol), left me hanging and without a choice to scout for designer bargains during this 1-month long sales season. Bloomingdales, Harvey Nichols, SAKS, and SAKS outlet were my where-to-gos but my feet suddenly, for no reason hurt.And these department stores are in 4 different locations/malls.

First stop, Dubai Mall. Its Fashion Avenue is one of the best in town. Designer labels from Alexander McQueen, Tom Ford, Hermes, Chanel, Kenzo, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and so many others are lined up in that one long fashion street with partial carpet floors and white paper butteflies and crystals hanging above you. But the stocks they sell here are just boring. What's the use of a Givenchy store where only Nightingales and some shirts and jackets that didn't even appear on the runway are sold? Lanvin, all suits and cuff links.McQueen, that sandals from spring 2010 SHOULD BE AT 70% DISCOUNT AND NOT STILL AT FULL PRICE. Burberry, full of checks. Gucci, everything G's. Dolce & Gabanna, wrinkled shirts on display.Where is the steamer?

 Ignore my complaints after all I'm not a huge customer and certainly I'm too poor to afford these labels. I mean, " Why shop at these places when you only have this much in your ATM?",LOL. I guess that's why that Russian sales staff was that bitchy at me when I asked her to unfold that check shirt at Givenchy and told me "Oh, it's not your size". Like it was her kind version of "You don't have money to buy this, so put it back and go out." hahaha.

And the answer to my prayer was Bloomingdales.3 floors of designer filled department store at everything from 50-70 off and an extra 5% at the counter. Browse, browse, browse. Fit, fit, fit, paid and left for Harvey Nichols at Mall of the Emirates where I was too late as the stocks were the ones I didn't like. I was eyeing on that Balenciaga blue leather jacket,but price it at 3,000 plus dirhams(and that's 70 off) and the best thing I can do is return it back on the rack.

Returned back to Bloomingdales to splurge more. I can't go to SAKS as my right foot was killing me big this time. Fitted again 4 shirts, I chose one. Tried some Pierre Hardy's, Balenciaga and McQueen Hi-tops, and the YSL sandals,my eye-candy of the moment. It was 75 off. I made a deal with myself then.Lose the shirt and you can buy the sandals. You can not have both. You can not afford it. Which I agreed. I like battling and having discussions with the other me. Counter time."That would be x,xxx, sir."

"What? I thought it was 70 + 5 % off?"
"Yes,it is. Its original price is x,xxx."
"No, it should only be about xxx."
Calculator,calculator and I was right. Don't underestimate me when computing designer discounts.I'm an expert.:). Turned out it was only at 65.:(. And I can't afford it anymore. That extra xxx is way too expensive for me.That's the reason why I threw shirt in the first place because I'am not paying 4 digits,and now they charge me that?No.
.
So I picked the shirt back only to find out at home I got the wrong size(XL).Looks like karma is really digital. The Bottega Veneta scarf had its revenge.

At the Dubai bus station.The LINE WAS SO LONG. And they don't have a system. After 1 hour of transferring and running thrice for the wrong bus queue and 5 more double decker buses,  heading to Abu Dhabi at last. Take note, I was in a McQueen-Paul&Joe-Ann D.-Margiela combo. Shouldn't I be waving for a cab in this outfit? It will be 400 dirhams so I better join the rest of the Bangalis, Pakistanis, and Indians. hehe.

Anyway, that's quite a long story,isn't it? I hope I didn't bore you. I was happy to go home carrying 3 t-shirts with me. Here are they.Anyone can guess what the labels are.:D




No comments:

Post a Comment