Sunday 23 October 2011

Maison Martin Margiela (untitled) Perfume

First, I will say goodbye to my Margiela x Cutler and Gross sunglasses. I sold it to buy this.haha.

When I started my Margiela addiction about 5 years back,  I had this idea that when the house would release a perfume they will name it

1. Blank  or
2. Unnamed

turned out, they named it (untitled), which is close to my guesses.hehe. I love that the house named it such. It still speaks of what the brand is all about--anonimity. Eversince it was released first quarter last year, I kept on calling the Maison Martin Margiela Dubai store if it arrived instore, well, until nobody answers the phone anymore. Little did I know the boutique closed down some time May-June 2010., This, like all Margiela items, is very very hard to find. Points of sale is concentrated in Europe, and with the exception of the United States, you can not find this elsewhere. Thank God a friend recently travelled to Germany and found one for me, but it wasn't easy she said. It is readily available at colette.fr if I was willing to pay  the 74 Euros shipping costs. and Saks.com won't deliver this in the UAE or perhaps the world.

So this blog isn't a critique of this perfume, but a much personal observation.I 'am not a huge fan of perfumes so that I can compare it to any; or can fully understand the notes ,that ,describing each ingredient used would be useless.

Let's start with the box. I know in your mind it looks like a tester's box. A white matte box with nothing but the label's signature 0-23 markings, the name and contents in a typewriter font.  Number 3 is encircled as perfumes are considered Line 3.

The bottle is wrapped in a white linen bag


The bottle. According to the house, the inspiration was old apothecary bottles. It is very simple,very clean and it is very nice to see the green liquid inside. I always love the house's take on old things. They always  add a twist to it making it modern and appealing.



This is the idea that i like most about the bottle. It appeared as if it was dipped in a white paint. Very clever, isn't it? Who knew that idea would be so cool

Now I've read a lot of reviews about this perfume but  nobody noticed or mentioned this detail. I was surprised when I saw this because I did understand the thought and the value of it. The house's tags in clothes are stitched with 4 threads so that it is easier for the user to remove or cut it.(Yes, that was the purpose of the 4 stitches that somehow became the brand's "logo"). That idea was significantly applied here.that, you have to cut the thread so that you can use the perfume. It appeared plain, nonsense and useless but was so well thought and executed.

Also, the thread around  the neck? I think the house must have thought of  tiny perfume spills after spraying. The cotton threads will absorb it keeping the bottle neat or will not stain anything if this were carried in your bag.

and for more information on its contents, click here.

In an era where a celebrity's face in perfume ads is much more important than the product itself, what separates this perfume from the rest and what makes it a stand out are the ideas and the design process behind it that are still parallel to the values and codes of the house. It can not contest to Natalie Portman's pretty face for Dior, but  like what  Maison Martin Margiela is all about, let the product speak for itself.

and oh, it smells really GOOD.


It's time to give my rose its scent.

 Anyway, thank you Tonet for shaking up Germany just to find a bottle for me, but where is my piece of the Berlin Wall? hahaha

1 comment:

  1. you are most welcome lowell..i'm glad me and my sister was able to contribute in your addiction to MMM..but i think a piece of the berlin wall is harder to get than the perfume..i was able to touch the wall though..hehe! :-)

    ReplyDelete